Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Suggestion:

Monday night around 6pm my computer at home developed a problem keeping a stable connection to the Internet. I needed to complete an online final that evening, since I didn't want my internet to go down, I packed up and came to the library. I got to the building around 6:30 found a computer and started my exam. At 7pm the coffeebreak for the evening was announced, twice. I was already frustrated and on edge, and these announcements broke my concentration.I didn't want to leave and go back home, and was stuck where I was due to me starting my final. Then closer to 8pm, the coffee break was announced again,twice. This broke my concentration again. I would like to suggest that these announcements be made once and once only. I realize the need for them,but four got excessive and overly disruptive.

Reply:
Thank you for contacting the TWU Libraries concerning our Finals Coffee Breaks for students. I can certainly understand your need to concentrate on your exam while here and that the coffee break announcements were distracting to you. We announce this so that students can take a study break and get some free coffee and snacks to relieve stress. The only reason we do it twice is to make sure the people who arrived after the first announcement were informed before we closed the refreshments down. We do post signs to let students know that we have these breaks twice per evening during finals. My suggestion is that if you are in this situation again, you reserve a study room away from the speakers so that you are able to concentrate better and that you consider using headphones or ear buds to lessen the sound.

I apologize for these announcements but we have no other way to let students know that we are offering them free food and drinks.

Thank you again for expressing your concern.

Kris

Kristine Reed
Assistant Dean of Libraries
Texas Woman’s University
PO Box 425528
Denton, TX 76204-5528
940.898.3767